Museum to give back a looted vase

16 Sep 2011 9:00 AM | Anonymous

Museum to give back a looted vase
Article by: MARY ABBE , Star Tribune Updated: September 16, 2011 - 12:13 AM
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts has agreed to surrender a 2,500-year-old Greek vase that has been a museum showpiece for nearly 30 years.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts has agreed to surrender a 2,500-year-old Greek vase that has been a museum showpiece for nearly 30 years. The institute intends to return the object to Italy, which says it was looted from an ancient grave.

Italian government officials first claimed the ceramic vase in 2005 as part of a wide-ranging investigation into the source of antiquities at eight U.S. museums, including the Getty in Los Angeles, New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and Boston's Museum of Fine Arts.

"We're very sorry to lose this object because it's a very important example" of ancient art that museums essentially can't acquire anymore, said Kaywin Feldman, the institute's director and immediate past president of the American Association of Museum Directors.

The Minneapolis museum is not accused of wrongdoing. Italian officials did not pursue the Minneapolis vase until the museum sought to resolve the issue starting last year.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/stageandarts/129919903.html

Lawyers' Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation © 2000-2010. All rights reserved.

1785 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20036-2117

Site Map  •  Terms of Use  •  Contact Us

Sign up for Citations, our free e-newsletter, to receive the latest information on our organization, legal developments, upcoming events, and more.

Sign Up Here
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software