Cultural Heritage News


  • 12 May 2012 6:55 PM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Court says ‘not guilty,’ Antiquities demands punishment

    By MATTHEW KALMAN
    05/12/2012 22:17

    Antiquities Authority determined not to return dozens of items to Israeli collector accused of faking burial box of Jesus's brother.

    Antiques collector Golan Photo: Reuters

    The Antiquities Authority, backed by State Attorney Moshe Lador, has launched a desperate rearguard action to reverse its humiliating defeat in a seven-year trial that ended with the acquittal of an Israeli collector accused of faking the burial box of the brother of Jesus and an inscribed stone tablet that may have hung on the wall of Solomon’s Temple in Jerusalem.

    The latest twist came during a routine sentencing hearing at the Jerusalem District Court last Tuesday, two months after the stunning collapse of the high-profile prosecution.

    http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdContributors/Article.aspx?id=269669
  • 12 May 2012 6:53 PM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Thieves hunt pharaonic treasures amid Egypt turmoil


    CAIRO –  Taking advantage of Egypt's political upheaval, thieves have gone on a treasure hunt with a spree of illegal digging, preying on the country's ancient pharaonic heritage.

    Illegal digs near ancient temples and in isolated desert sites have swelled a staggering 100-fold over the past 16 months since a popular uprising toppled Hosni Mubarak's 29-year regime and security fell apart in many areas as police simply stopped doing their jobs. The pillaging comes on top of a wave of break-ins last year at archaeological storehouses -- and even at Cairo's famed Egyptian Museum, the country's biggest repository of pharaonic artifacts.

     

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/12/thieves-hunt-pharaonic-treasures-amid-egypt-turmoil/#ixzz1uhNPNX7D

     

    In Egypt Turmoil, Thieves Hunt Pharaonic Treasures

    CAIRO (AP) undefined Taking advantage of Egypt's political upheaval, thieves have gone on a treasure hunt with a spree of illegal digging, preying on the country's ancient pharaonic heritage.

    Illegal digs near ancient temples and in isolated desert sites have swelled a staggering 100-fold over the past 16 months since a popular uprising toppled Hosni Mubarak's 29-year regime and security fell apart in many areas as police simply stopped doing their jobs. The pillaging comes on top of a wave of break-ins last year at archaeological storehouses undefined and even at Cairo's famed Egyptian Museum, the country's biggest repository of pharaonic artifacts.

    Horrified archaeologists and antiquities authorities are scrambling to prevent smuggling, keeping a watch on European and American auction houses in case stolen artifacts show up there.

    "Criminals became so bold they are digging in landmark areas." including near the Great Pyramids in Giza, other nearby pyramids and the grand temples of the southern city of Luxor, said Maj.-Gen. Abdel-Rahim Hassan, commander of the Tourism and Antiquities Police Department.

     

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/05/12/world/middleeast/ap-ml-egypt-antiquities-theft.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print

  • 08 May 2012 9:12 AM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Russia and US continue to discuss cultural stand-off

    Senior officials aim to lift loans suspension following dispute over sacred Jewish books

    Mikhail Shvydkoi, the Kremlin’s international cultural envoy and Tara Sonenshine, the US’s new Under Secretary of State for Public Affairs, have discussed the cultural stalemate between Russia and the US over sacred Jewish books. Russian state television has reported that Shvydkoi said that he and Sonenshine agreed in April that they “must reach an intergovernmental agreement as quickly as possible that would guarantee the security of Russian cultural treasures exhibited in the US”.

    Shvydkoi, who was at the US state department to discuss cultural, educational and media exchanges between the two countries, said that he and Sonenshine had “discussed separately those difficulties that exist in Russian-American relations as a result of the famous suit over the Schneerson collection”, according to the Rossiya television channel.
     
  • 06 May 2012 8:43 PM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Archaeologists accuse MoD of allowing US company to 'plunder' shipwreck

    Experts take legal advice in effort to block lucrative deal on underwater excavation of HMS Victory

    An image of what HMS Victory is thought to have looked like issued by Odyssey Marine Exploration in 2009. Photograph: John Batchelor/Odyssey Marine/PA

    The Ministry of Defence is facing a legal battle and parliamentary questions after letting a US company excavate a British 18th-century warship laden with a potentially lucrative cargo.

    Lord Renfrew is among leading archaeologists condemning a deal struck over HMS Victory, considered the world's mightiest ship when she sank in the Channel in 1744.

     

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/06/hms-victory-shipwreck-odyssey-excavation?newsfeed=true

  • 05 May 2012 11:23 AM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Italian court upholds claim on Getty bronze

    Official in Italy hopes the ruling will lend weight to new negotiations for the return of the masterpiece Greek statue.

    An Italian court has upheld an order for the seizure of a masterpiece of the J. Paul Getty Museum's antiquities collection, finding that the bronze statue of a victorious athlete was illegally exported from Italy before the museum purchased it for $4 million in 1976.

    The ruling Thursday by a regional magistrate in Pesaro will likely prolong the legal battle over the statue, a signature piece of the Getty's embattled antiquities collection whose return Italian authorities have sought for years.

     

    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-getty-bronze-ruling-20120504,0,2759444.story

  • 03 May 2012 8:37 AM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)
     

    Suit over Norton Simon artwork enters a final phase

    An art dealer's daughter-in-law appeals to the 9th Circuit to lay claim to the diptych 'Adam and Eve' at the Pasadena museum. It was stolen by Goering in World War II.

    'Adam and Eve'

    Lucas Cranach the Elder's 14th century diptych "Adam and Eve." (Norton Simon Museum / May 2, 2012)

    A long-running lawsuit to force the Norton Simon Museum to surrender one of its prized artworks, 480-year-old paired paintings of Adam and Eve by Lucas Cranach the Elder that were looted during the Holocaust, has reached what could be its last legal round: plaintiff Marei Von Saher's recent appeal to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

    If her appeal fails, it could have far-reaching implications, potentially undermining a larger class of claims to recover Nazi-looted art.

    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-norton-simon-holocaust-20120502,0,110387.story

  • 02 May 2012 1:23 PM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Ancient American Skeletons Safe From Reburial, But Only for the Moment

    on 1 May 2012, 4:12 PM |

    Bones of contention. Scientists want to study these 9000-year-old bones, but the Kumeyaay tribes claim them for reburial.

    Credit: Jan Austin/Santa Monica Community College

    " href="http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/05/01/si-remains.jpg" jquery1335979381351="41">si-remains.jpg
    Bones of contention. Scientists want to study these 9000-year-old bones, but the Kumeyaay tribes claim them for reburial.
    Credit: Jan Austin/Santa Monica Community College
     

    A federal court judge in San Francisco granted a temporary restraining order Friday to prevent the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), from handing over 9000-year-old human bones to Native Americans, in the latest twist in an unusual custody battle for two human skeletons that are among the earliest found in the Americas. Three University of California professors filed a lawsuit last week to prevent UCSD from transferring the bones, which have been described as better preserved than those of the Kennewick Man, another ancient skeleton that has been the center of debate and lawsuits.

    The restraining order will be in effect until Friday, 11 May, when Judge Richard Seeborg of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California will decide whether to extend it until the case is settled, according to Jim McManis, an attorney in San Jose, California, who represents the professors pro bono.

    http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/05/ancient-american-skeletons-safe.html?ref=hp

  • 02 May 2012 7:55 AM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)
     

    Syria's cultural treasures latest uprising victim

    The Associated Press

    2:56 p.m. Tuesday, May 1, 2012

    BEIRUT undefined On its towering hilltop perch, the Krak des Chevaliers, one of the world's best preserved Crusader castles, held off a siege by the Muslim warrior Saladin nearly 900 years ago. It was lauded by Lawrence of Arabia for its beauty and has been one of the crown jewels of Syria's tourism.

    But it has fallen victim to the chaos of Syria's uprising and the crackdown against it by President Bashar Assad's regime. Recently, gunmen broke into the castle, threw out the staff and began excavations to loot the site, says Bassam Jammous, general director of the Antiquities and Museum Department in Damascus.

    Syria's turmoil is threatening the country's rich archaeological heritage, experts warn.

    http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/syrias-cultural-treasures-latest-1429366.html?printArticle=y

  • 27 Apr 2012 7:56 AM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    Austria-Mexico Treaty Could Facilitate Loan of Feathered Crown


    VIENNA – The Austrian government has approved a bilateral pact with Mexico governing the loan of cultural artifacts, an agreement that could pave the way for a headdress believed to have been worn by Aztec ruler Montezuma II to be temporarily brought to the Latin American country.

    The treaty, negotiated over nearly two years and approved earlier this week by Austria’s Cabinet, is aimed at resolving a decades-long dispute over the spectacular feather-work crown, a spokesman for Austria’s Culture and Education Ministry told Efe Thursday.

    The goal is to “create international legal certainties regarding temporary loans of cultural property,” the spokesman said.

    The treaty, negotiated between each country’s ministries of Culture and Foreign Affairs, does not address the matter of ownership over any cultural objects that may be loaned out, he said.

    http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=498266&CategoryId=14091

  • 26 Apr 2012 2:17 PM | Gary Nurkin (Administrator)

    ICE returns stolen and looted art and antiquities to Italy

    ICE returns stolen and looted art and antiquities to Italy

    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

    WASHINGTON undefined Seven stolen and looted objects of Italian cultural heritage will soon be on their way back to Italy, following a ceremony Thursday in which U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano officially returned the antiquities to Italian Ambassador Claudio Bisogniero at the Embassy of Italy in Washington.

    Two 2,000-year-old ceramic vessels, one Roman marble sculpture, one Renaissance painting and three music sheets from choir books dating back to the 13th century were recovered during four investigations by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). All four of the investigations involved the collaboration of HSI offices in New York and Rome and Italy's national police force, the Carabinieri.

    http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/USDHSICE-3db182

 
Lawyers' Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation © 2000-2010. All rights reserved.

1785 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20036-2117

Site Map  •  Terms of Use  •  Contact Us

Sign up for Citations, our free e-newsletter, to receive the latest information on our organization, legal developments, upcoming events, and more.

Sign Up Here
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software